The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Reputation : Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Reputation1
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Empty
PostSubject: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:51 pm

No, piggies don't need any vaccinations. However, you may want to get any new pig's that come to live with you treated with some Ivermectin by your vet, in case they are harbouring mites / parasites which live in and under the skin and cause them no end of irritation. Might be a precaution well worth taking.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Reputation : Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Reputation1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:20 am

It's always a good idea to take new piggies to the vet for a check up. The vet has to do blood work to determine if the piggy has mites, so don't let the vet look over the piggy and say there are no mites. They can't be seen with the naked eye.
Finding a good cavy vet is not easy. It's best to get a few questions to ask any vet, you have the answers, and see if the vet knows such things as what antibiotics are fatal to piggies, why major surgery is only done in extreme cases, etc. That way you won't make the mistake I made of thinking because a vet claims to work on exotics, he or she knows a lot about guinea pigs. They usually don't unless they've had reason to know. Since most people let the pigs die of illnesses, rather than paying far more than it costs to just replace it, most vets don't work on many cavys.
Go to local rescues and pet stores, and ask for vet references. That at least cuts out the totally non-cavy vets.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:29 am

Wow, they are vets and sometimes don't even know anything. I feel bad for those poor babies.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:38 am

The problem is that vets who handle any exotic species list themselves as Exotics vets. That doesnt' mean they know guinea pigs. Because so many people are reluctant to spend hundreds of dollars on a pet that only cost them $30, most vets don't work on many guinea pigs, so they never build the expertise they need to be good cavy vets. I was very lucky to find a great cavy vet here in Nashua, when we moved here. The vet I used in Manchester, NH, before we moved, learned about cavies with me, in large part, as we had to determine the right dosage for Dallas's inhaler, and things like that. They had a great cavy base, but had never dealt with a pig as sick as Dallas was. That's why I got the oxygen tent sessions for free. It was payment for all they learned treating Dallas.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:54 am

Wow! that is shoking news. I will care for my piggies not because I dont wanna pay 100s because their health means a lot to me, but owners who rather let their pet die. They should not be owners, now if they are going through a rough time they can always ask for family help.
Back to top Go down
carriep829

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 9:59 am

It is so sad to me to hear that people actually "let" thei babies die. I was so saddened this week when a new piggie just died with no exhibition of illness. I quickly took his sibling to the vet just to get checked and low and behold he has an upper respiratory infection. I thought they both sneezed and coughed after bringing them home, but didn't think anything of it since they were in different bedding from the pet store. I am so glad I took the other pig to the vet and now it is being treated for its URI. I will still probably get the other's checked this week since contagion is so high with piggies,but the vet said the sibling should be checked on an emergency basis.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 11:29 am

I'm very sorry for your lost, but in I am very glad you took your piggy to the other piggy to the vet in time. If you have other piggies I will advise you to take them to the vet, and also keep them in different rooms if possible (that's just an advice) I'm very proud of responsible owners like you.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 5:39 am

I'm so sorry about your piggy, Carrie. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I think vets often work on the sick pets, not on the educating the owners. The sad part is many people have pets but don't consider them part of the family. My babies are so much a part of my family, and all my pets have been. I think that's why the cats and dogs lived so long. They were happy and part of a family.

It's good to always take piggies to the vet if they goopies in the corner of their eyes, seem less active than usual, tire more easily than usual, sneeze, cough, or don't eat/drink as much as usual. It's just a good rule of thumb, as they hide their illnesses until it's too late, so we have to keep a really close eye on them, and get them treated even if they're trying to hide it. The good part is that after a couple of illnesses, they learn that you will help them, not hurt them, if they get sick, and they'll go to you with the problem, you just might not know it's a problem when you see it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?   Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do I need to get my guinea pig vaccinated against anything ?
Page 1 of 1