The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Reputation : I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Reputation1
Registration date : 2007-12-28

I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Empty
PostSubject: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 pm

It is possible to have allergies to either the guinea pig itself or items such as hay or other bedding and associated dust. The best advice I can give on this subject is to get all members of the family to handle some guinea pigs and the bedding options you may use prior to obtaining your new pet - to see if anyone has signs of an allergy - rashes, breathing difficulties, sniffles etc. I have to say that if they do then it would be in everyone's best interest not to obtain a pet that causes health problems in your family. That's the best way I can advice you.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Number of posts : 162
Reputation : I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Reputation1
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:08 am

Sometimes you will get over your allergie with time. That's what happened with alot of my pets. I'm allergic to alot of things and animals but after awhile I seem to become like, immune to them.
So I suggest that you wait at least a couple months before you give away your pet because you may not have to.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.invisionfree.com/Menagerie
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:11 am

Well, thanksfully I am not allergic to animals not even cats cheers but if I was allergic to GPs I couldn't have the heart to return them because I was allergic to them. I once read about someone that was complating and thinking of returning back her Guinea pig, because the piggy was kind of smelly that's is sad Sad
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 5:25 am

I found a wonderful product on line at a place called Gorgeous Guineas, in the UK. It's called Neem. Apparently Europeans know all about it, but I can't find it anywhere around here. It's a general cure all, coat conditioner, fugus reliever, etc., and it comes in a shampoo and a conditioner for piggies...several choices, in fact. It really keeps down the dander, and because it fights mites, funguses, lice, fleas and lots of other baddies, most of the things that make us allergic are taken care of. My eyes use to water when I held the piggies for very long. With a neem bath, I don't have any trouble. It's definitely worth a try for anyone suffering from piggy allergies, and I see no reason why it can't be used on most small animals. It's too expensive to use on a horse or other animal that big.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 5:33 am

Did you try looking for it on ebay? Mabye you are able to find it there. Update me of this product if you find it. I am not allergic to piggies but if we provide where to buy it we can help the members who are allergic. Thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
Cherish

Cherish

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for that, 3piggles- I know of Gorgeous Guineas, I'll check them out!

You see, guinea pigs are the only animal I am NOT allergic too (everything else makes my skin itch. I think it's because they have hair, not fur) but my mother in law has really fallen in love with our pigs, and wants a pair of her own, but can't because of allergies.
I'll look into this stuff and see if it could help her any!
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 pm

That's great! am not allergic to any animal how cool.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:51 am

I googled "neem" once, and got nowhere. I'll try again and see what happens. Meanwhile, there is that one place to get it, if anyone needs it.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:56 am

Thankfully I am not allergic to my babies. I would not know what to do, I think I will be addicted to allergy medicines Smile
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 am

lol, me too!!!
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:03 am

I could not live without them. My husband and his mom are always telling that I am obsessed with guinea pigs. Hurraaayyyyy!!! with piggy obsession Laughing
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:10 am

Don't feel bad. One of my piggies died when I was on vacation in March, and I know I won't go very far again, so I don't have to board them, even with the vet. Hub says I can't stay home just because of them but yes I can, lol.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:17 am

I have not lost any of my babies and I do not want to even think about it. It will be devastating and very painful. I never thought I will feel this way about any pet after I lost my best friend (doggy) to be honest after he died and before I never had a pet and when he died I did not even like pets again, but when I saw my first baby's face at the shelter I fell in love with him. There where to cages or more full of piggies, but I loved him since the moment I adopted him. Then I got my girl and you should know the story from the other site.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:25 am

I think I missed the story about the little girl. I was more interested in rescuing you from the CC before you thought all cavy people were horrible. I actually don't go to the pet store without my husband to keep me from buying more piggies, lol. I have a huge cage, and could put more piggies in if I needed to, but the existing group wouldn't want to share me with new comers, lol.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 6:29 am

Well, I adopted my first boar and then the next day my girl. I was new to cavies so I thought they needed to be in pairs. My cavy got pregnant and they baby is now 1 month old. I told the story at CC, but everyone was nice and cool, but then things got out of hand. I know all people are not bad and some of them are more than nice and act like a never thought they will.
Back to top Go down
happiestgirl

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 1:36 am

My husband is allergic to guinea pigs (and I have 17!) he does well with the HEPA filters we have as well as knowing when he needs a break from them! He takes an antihistamine and occasionally uses an inhaler. I'm the one that has to clean the cages, as that is where a lot of the allergens lie. Unless you are *severely* allergic, allergies to piggies are manageable. Smile

Megan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?   I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I think I am allergic to my guinea pig - what can I do ?
Page 1 of 1