The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Reputation : My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Reputation1
Registration date : 2007-12-28

My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Empty
PostSubject: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:46 pm

My piggies have never experienced a health problem I can attribute to this, so, I feel it is perfectly safe. Do let me know if you hear any different ! If you are really worried, put a nice deep pile of bedding material on top of the newspaper to limit her access to the newspaper whilst still allowing it to perform its absorbtion job !
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Number of posts : 162
Reputation : My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Reputation1
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:02 am

I hear that its dangerous to eat since it has ink in it. Its also bad to walk on because when they lick their paws to clean them they consume the ink.

With my rabbit Raven I also(who won't go in his litterbox if theres not newspaper in it) put down some bedding on it so he doesn't get as much ink on his feet.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.invisionfree.com/Menagerie
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2008 9:05 am

Well, what I do is, that I put 3 layers of newspaper than 3 layers of cedar shavings I do not put the newspaper by itself on the cages. I will do a research voer the internet to see if there is any article. I did search once about it and I got nothing, but it's better to prevent Smile Thanks
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 4:57 am

OH, change to pine or Aspen shavings. Cedar is hazardous to piggies. I know it's sold along with the others, as if it's okay, but you want to stay away from Cedar with piggies, even wearing clothes from a cedar-lined closet. It is the best smelling, and fights odors the best, but it can kill a piggy.
Newspapers are okay as long as they aren't on them constantly. Piggies chew everything, especially if it makes a cool noise. That amount of ink won't hurt them unless they have a very low tolerance due to a medical condition. I use newspaper under a couple of wooden houses in the piggy room, for when they are out for floor time. Just change it regularly, so it doesn't get wet and the ink doesn't come off really easily. I stay away from shiny paper, as it isn't absorbant. If you want to use newspaper, and have a newpaper in your area, check with them for the ends of the paper rolls used to print the newspaper. Small, local newspapers have big papers print their papers, so they won't have any roll ends.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:00 am

OMG! cedar is bad? I will immediately buy aspen or pine where can I get them? Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:07 am

Yes, cedar is extremely aromatic, which is why it's so good with the odors. It's the aromatic oils in cedar that cause cancer in piggies, as they live so close to it. We smell it from a distance, and it's still pretty strong, so imagine what it's like with your nose in it all the time, lol.
I wish pet stores would put up warnings for people who don't know these things. Most people buying their first guinea pig at best buy a starter book and read it after they get home. By then they have the nice smelling cedar in the cage.
I use something called EquinePine, also called Woody Pet and a few other things. It's sold at Tractor Supply Company stores, if you have one in your area. It's basically a pine pellet that needs to be wet to expand and become powery. Once you've done that, you don't have to change it for a good month. Just put a sheet or some material over it to keep the pigs from getting right into it, as it's hard to get the poos out of the packed powder. I bought one bag for $6+, and haven't used it all, yet. When I clean the cage, i mix up all the hardened places, rake it down with a child's garden rake i bought, and put down more material. it disolves in hot water, so it goes away when washed in the washing machine. It's the best bedding I've used, and I've tried just about everything. I also used Cedar until I learned it was harmful, so you're not alone.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:11 am

Do they have an online store? Maybe I can find one near my location, because am a bit lost in where to find it. Is there any other type of bedding "safe" to use if I do not find the EquinePine?
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:28 am

I went to their main website to do a location search, as we don't have a lot of those stores in NEw England. It turned out there's one in the next town, so hub and I were there in a flash. It's like a combination of Agway and Home Depot, lol. I think it's tractorsupplystore.com. It might be Stores. i don't remember. The bags are heavy, so you might want someone to help you with it. I have back problems, so I have to have hub do the heavy lifting, lol. Great excuse, no??????
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:32 am

Well, my husband has back problems, my mother in law too and I have constantly back pain haven't done any test, but soon will. So I think I will have to call superman Laughing
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:41 am

I've been looking at those dollies used to pull bags of groceries. I need one to go up stairs, but if I find a good one, I'll let you know. If you don't have lots of stairs, probably the regular ones will work just fine.
You have my sympathy. I'm hysterically terrified of snakes, and I wouldn't even with back problems on them. Now that I think of it, all they have is a back, so back problems would be really awful for them lol.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:45 am

I am scared of snakes too, Laughing in petsmart they have these little small snakes even in an aquarium, I am terrfied. My husband likes snakes. I just like cavies, bunnies, chinchillas (never had one) doggies, but snakes are a big NO for me.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:57 am

Back in Manchester we only had a Petco, which carried snakes. As you said,they're in aquariums and even in bird cages, so there isn't one area I can totally avoid if I go there. The last time I went, they had snakes in the bird cages in the bird area. I saw one out the corner of my eye, screemed, through the bags of hay I was carrying in all directions and ran out of the store. Hub had to get the ahy and explain the situation.
Here in Nashua we have a PetSmart, and they don't carry snakes. I shop there, not at the local Petco. I buy my hay and pellets at Blue Seal Feeds, which doesn't carry any animals of any kind. Since I stopped buying the Aspen bedding, I only go to the pet store for specialty items, like the playpen.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 am

I just pass by really fast. I once stare at the aquarium and the snake was looking at me but did not do anything not even a movement. Then I left, because I was shaking Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a   My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My piggy eats her newspaper all the time, will this do her a
Page 1 of 1