The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Is it ok to have guinea pigs with small children - can they

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Reputation : Is it ok to have guinea pigs with small children - can they Reputation1
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Is it ok to have guinea pigs with small children - can they Empty
PostSubject: Is it ok to have guinea pigs with small children - can they   Is it ok to have guinea pigs with small children - can they Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:37 pm

Well, I'd be more worried about the children poking and squashing the guinea pig than the children being harmed by the pig ! On that note - always ensure children are taught how to handle the pig correctly and learn they are not toys - young children should always be supervised when they are with guinea pigs - as with all animals. Please ensure the cage is situated out of a young child's reach. As to what the child could catch from a guinea pig - the main contender would be if your pig had a fungal infection called ringworm - this is contagious but your child can be treated by the doctor - as can you if you contract it ! Always follow good hygiene rules such as handwashing after handling animals etc. And monitor your guinea pigs health regularly so you spot any signs of a problem early on and can take the appropriate action - ie a vet visit / treatment. Guinea pigs are herbivores so their nice neat little poops are not really much of a concern in the way that a cat or dog's would be.
Back to top Go down

Is it ok to have guinea pigs with small children - can they
Page 1 of 1