The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

How do I know where to clip the nail?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

How do I know where to clip the nail? Empty
PostSubject: How do I know where to clip the nail?   How do I know where to clip the nail? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 5:32 am

You should clip the nail a little way in front of the quick - in clear nailed piggies you can see this as a pink blood vessel in the nail - in darker (black) nailed pigs it can be harder to know where the quick is- some people shine a torch under the nail to show the quick, this will show up slightly darker than the nail, you can also normally see an indented line under the dead bit of nail which can also look a bit lighter/drier. You should safely be able to clip this part off - it is really experience - if you are not sure where the quick is err on the side of caution - you can always make an appointment with your vet / or ask a local breeder / rescue who will show you what to do.

How do I know where to clip the nail? Nailcare
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: How do I know where to clip the nail?   How do I know where to clip the nail? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 9:35 am

That is an excellent diagram of a piggy nail. One option to clipping is using a
Dremmel Mototool with a sanding bit on it. That's what my vet uses, and rather than clipping the nail and risking clipping down too far, it sands the nail down so it's shorter and blunt. If you're wondering what else you can do with a Mototool, it's great for making and repairing acrylic fingernails, lol.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: How do I know where to clip the nail?   How do I know where to clip the nail? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 am

HAHAHAHA!!!!! I'll have to make a section for beauty tricks lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I know where to clip the nail?   How do I know where to clip the nail? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I know where to clip the nail?
Page 1 of 1