The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Nail trimmin g

Go down 
+2
GuineaPigLuvver
3Piggles
6 posters
AuthorMessage
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 9:09 am

I usually have the vet trim the kids' nails, as I don't see well enough, but money's tight, so hub and I have started a nail trimming schedule. Zippy had two fingernails that were were curling into the fingers next to them, so we cut those last night. Tonight we clipped his toenails. He doesn't like getting it done, but after getting nail trimmings two nights in a row, he was more relaxed with it this time. I hold the piggy, and hub clips the nail.
The vet has a tool like a soldering iron. It burns away the nail, so it grows back really slowly. It smells, but it works, and we don't have to do it very often. We figure, if we just keep clipping a little at a time, for five minutes at a time, we'll work our way through all the nails, no piggies will get bent out of shape in the process, and we'll save about $300/quarter.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 9:19 am

Wow, $300/quarter?? for nail clippings? that's Shocked well I clip my babies nails too hub also helps me and they totally hate it. They jump, run away, run around, no matter if I try to buy them with food lol they just pull it from my hands eat them and bye bye nail clipping time lol
Back to top Go down
pghsteelersgirl7
pghsteelersgirl7

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 am

300 dollars a quarter. That is crazy. Sometimes groomers will do it cheap too. Wow that is alot of money.

Some people use tennis racket, put the pig on it, the nails will go through the holes and you can trim it.
Back to top Go down
Iheartskinnypigs

Iheartskinnypigs

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 10:46 am

I just use regular human nail clippers, they seem to work fine. I've never hit a vein or had any problems.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 12:47 pm

pghsteelersgirl7 wrote:
300 dollars a quarter. That is crazy. Sometimes groomers will do it cheap too. Wow that is alot of money.

Some people use tennis racket, put the pig on it, the nails will go through the holes and you can trim it.
I should try that lol they hate it when I trim their nails no more what I do.
Back to top Go down
Bugbug

Bugbug

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 5:27 am

is it okay to use regular human nail clippers?
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 6:54 am

Yes, I use human nail clippers and they work fine make sure you use a big one though, that way it's easier for you. Here's my babies nail clipper

Nail trimmin g Dscf0812
Back to top Go down
ilovemoomin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 7:37 am

Yep, I too use human clippers. As long as you don't cut past the quik, your piggy should be fine,
£3oo for nail trimming? That sounds very steep! I have never had my pigs nails trimmed by vets, and i have 20!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nail trimmin g Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nail trimmin g   Nail trimmin g Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nail trimmin g
Page 1 of 1