The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

The 3Piggles cage.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 5:05 am

This is the latest version of the piggy cage for my spoiled piggies. The cage is 3'X6' with a second level of 20"X6'. The ramps are made of Funnels, available in ferret supply places at pet stores or on line. The cage is made of sealed wood covered with linoleum.
I use Woody Pet, a pine pellet that turns to saw dust when it's wet, and packs down. I change the Woody Pet once every month or two, depending on how much time the kids spend in the cage. The saw dust is covered with cotton towels, which are covered by a sheet or sheet material.
The sides are held in plastic channels available in the decking department at DIY stores. They're used to hold plastic thatching to give a finished look to the lower sides of a deck. The channels are screwed into the wood base, and the grids fit into the slots for the plastic thatching. I plan to buy 100% cotton terry cloth sized to fit the cages, so I can retire the miscellaneous towels I'm using.
The upright pieces are pressure treated wooden deck railing balusters, and underneith are six 3" heavy duty castors to help move the cage for cleaning.
I plan to add a skirt to cover the storage area under the cage, but I haven't bought the material yet.

The 3Piggles cage. Cageupgrade08025
The 3Piggles cage. Cageupgrade08023

The hay loft is made of grids connected with cable ties for strength, and it's very solid. The hay goes in the upper part, and LG often goes in the upper part, too. The kids pull the hay through the grids from the bottom. Zippy tries to get as much on him as possible, and sits under the hay loft while I fill it, so he gets showered with hay, lol. These pics are from an earlier version of the cage,when it was on the bottom level. The black connectors were replaced with cable ties, and it's now on the first level of the cage.

The 3Piggles cage. P1010158
The 3Piggles cage. P1010160
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 5:12 am

AWW, your cage is so cute and fun your babies must love it.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 6:40 am

Considering they're free-range pigs, I have to push them out of the cage, lol. They love going from level to level. I have food and water on the top level, and the hayloft on the bottom level.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 6:42 am

I love your cage is very creative I wanted to do something similar to that, but my husband says that the tubes are for hamsters and he feels like they're going to get stuck in those lol The 3Piggles cage. 810481
Back to top Go down
Romaine
Banned

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-01-19

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 9:26 am

3Piggles wrote:
Considering they're free-range pigs, I have to push them out of the cage, lol. They love going from level to level. I have food and water on the top level, and the hayloft on the bottom level.

Ahhh!!!! I was wondering about the tube to nowhere Idea Now I see that they can use it to get down on the ground and go walk wherever they choose. You have some very spoiled piggies, I see.

They deserve the praise the lord pig for that The 3Piggles cage. 91609
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 11:12 pm

My license plate isn't CVYSLV for nothing, lol. Yes, they are spoiled rotten, and I respond to their every call.

Thank you for the lord pig, lol.

We have lots of woodworking tools, so for us, it was easier to use wood. Also, wood isn't very expensive here. I wouldn't advise a wooden cage for anyone who doesn't already have the tools, or who lives where wood is very expensive.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 11:18 pm

Guineapigluvver, the tubes are sized for ferrets, so gpigs won't get stuck in them unless they're Rexes, which are huge piggies, and need a much bigger tube. The hampster tubes are about 1/3 the size of these tubes. My kids love the tubes, and because they come apart, they're easy to clean.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 11:19 pm

I know!! lol I wanted to do something similar I even drew it, but it was all a waste of paper lol.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:42 am

I have a friend in Belgium who has Rexes. She loves the cage design, but said the Rexes would never fit through the tubes. I told her maybe she needed to use culvert pipes, as Rexes get so big. She had to look up the meaning of culverts, but got quite a kick out of the idea, lol.
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-01-04

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 4:32 am

Wow it's great lucky piggies
Back to top Go down
http://www.cutiecavies.co.uk
3Piggles
3Piggles

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 9:55 am

I'm sure they could give you a whole list of things they'd like changed, lol.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 8:49 am

Two items to consider for cages, that don't cost too much. One is waffle blocks, which can be used as a house of differing sizes and shapes, or as a maze, with hideys built in by putting roof pieces on in places.

The 3Piggles cage. WaffleBlockshousing001

The other is a hanging wall pocket from Ikea. It comes in different colors, and has a zippered base. I removed the base completely. It's made of a stiffened material which is machine washable, although I would do it on the delicate cycle.

The 3Piggles cage. P2210011

I put cuddle cups inside the wall pockets to make snuggly hideys.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 8:55 am

Aw it's very cute!!!!! and thanks for the advise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The 3Piggles cage. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 3Piggles cage.   The 3Piggles cage. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 3Piggles cage.
Page 1 of 1