The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Illness & Treatment

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hamsterhaven

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Illness & Treatment Empty
PostSubject: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi all!
As you may know, I'm making a website all about Guinea Pigs, I have made a page on Guinea Pig Illness ad treatment, so people can help their GP.
Its here at:
http://www.freewebs.com/smallpetcare/illnesstreatment.htm

Its not done yet cus I need your help!
I need more info on treatment for parasites and injuries etc.
Any ideas? Please reply!
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 11:25 pm

I recommend a medical book called the Handbook of Rodent and Rabbit Medicine. It has a great chart of illnesses, causes, symptoms, treatments, etc. It's in medicalese, which makes it a little hard to translate without looking up a lot of words in a medical dictionary (I've done that a lot, lol), but it's a great reference source.

Flea combs only move fleas, they don't stop fleas. If the fleas are killed by a flea med, it will get rid of the flea dirt, eggs and other junk left over from the fleas, but not the fleas themselves.
Check www.guinealinx.com and www.petergurney.com for more information on cavy illnesses/causes/symptoms and treatments.

Also, www.gorgeousguineas.com sells cavy products, some meant to kills/deter biting parasites. They have newsletters, including an archive of past newsletters, with some great information, as well as non-chemical products to help fight parasites. It's worth a read to get some info. I use their NEEM products on the pigs and myself, and swear by them for keeping the little bities at bay. I've hardly been bothered by mosquitoes at all this season, and usually I'm the one they pick out of a crowd. Prevention is even better than treatment, so I really recommend Neem for the cavies. I'm looking for American sources with no exchange rate for purchases, as Gorgeous Guineas is in the UK, and in dollars, everything costs at least twice the listed price in pounds.

I regularly search the web for information. If I find any good sources, I'll let you know.

I really like the way you've set up your page. It's very easy to follow the information. Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Thanks for all that!
I am searching the web like crazy, for tips etc, then I put them all together on my website.
Thanks again for the info, I will add it later when I have time.
I live in the UK and your right, it does cost alot here!
Back to top Go down
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 1:32 pm

While I'm at it, I may need some pics of ill piggys so that I can show people what the symptoms look like.
I really want to help other Guinea Pig owners!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 6:45 am

hamsterhaven wrote:
While I'm at it, I may need some pics of ill piggys so that I can show people what the symptoms look like.
I really want to help other Guinea Pig owners!!!!!!!
You can use the forum's pictures, or google for some, but remember to cite(give the author credit) the pictures not everyone likes their pictures all over the internet Wink
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 pm

I think you'll need to find veterinary sites that show problems and procedures, to find pics of sick piggies. Most people don't post pics when the pigs are sick, as it's kind of cruel to take pics of them when they're hurting, and those aren't the times we want to remember. Try www.guinealinx.com. They might have pics of skin conditions or something. They also have links to other sites, under different headings.
Back to top Go down
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 12:37 am

I know what you mean, it not being very nice to see.
Also, if I just take pics with out permission, that would be copyright, so I will just leave it for those reasons
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 7:11 am

You can always send them an email explain them that you're doing the same thing they're doing (helping beginners and cavy luvers)
Back to top Go down
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 1:09 pm

Good idea.
I will see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Another idea could be to go to a library and look for common illness in guinea pigs and use the photos provided in the book and cite them each time you'll use them and that way you'll have your own source(s).
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 4:36 am

I think, way back when my first piggy got sick, I searched the web for cavy medicine/guinea pig medicine, and got thousands of sites. Places that publish their findings probably won't let you use their pics, but places that provide internet information might. It's always worth a try. Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:05 am

you might try wikipedia, try keywords like "sick guinea pig" or the name of the piggy's illness.
Back to top Go down
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks all!
You are very helpful,
I just think its a case of asking :D
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 8:01 pm

You're more than welcome.
Back to top Go down
hamsterhaven

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 2:08 pm

:D
Back to top Go down
Petlee

Petlee

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 5:11 pm

I think photos speak more than words. You cant explain things no matter how bad they are, but when you see a photo of it....well it speaks for itself.
If you would like some photos conserning this issue please feel free to email me and I would be more than happy to provide you with some..

Email : Re : Care Photos to lee_spotz@bigpond.com

Cheers Lee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Illness & Treatment   Illness & Treatment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Illness & Treatment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Guinea Piggyn World :: 
Cavy Topics