The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Help! hair loss!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bugbug

Bugbug

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 10:27 am

okay, my sow had pups about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and i was looking the 3 pups and mum over, and mum has A LOT of hair loss on one side of her, like, you can see the skin quite a bit, and i'm so worried....
The pups look fine, except a little bald patch behind their ears, put i'm not sure that isn't normal...
heres their conditions, if they can help.
my room is pretty warm, then pretty cold, the heat basically changes all the time.
they don't have any hay right now, or for about a week now, cuz i can't get to the store yet, but i'm getting some tommorrow...( and i've heard that they will acualy pull their hair off when hey don't have hay?)
they live in a 5 by 2 ft C&C cage.... but it's split in half.( dad has the other half, and hes fine.)
um, they eat Gerty Guinea pig with regular pellets.
And they get veggies nearly, if not every, day.
but i don't use water vitamins.
So does anyone know if this is fine, like, just get them some hay, or could they have mange?! or they need more vitamins?
Or anything? No Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Bugbug

Bugbug

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 10:43 am

And should i quarintine the pups from mum?! Crying or Very sad

also, the one pup who has rossettes like mum, has the same color in his rossettes. The mum used to be all black, but after getting pregnant it got slightly gray in the middle, and the lil pup, whos a boar, has slight gray in the middle of his rossettes. ? No Crying or Very sad No Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 12:02 pm

(1)The bald patches behind the ears of the babies are normal unless you noticed there's any skin irritation or abnormality. (2) After pregnancy sows can loose a little bit of hair in forms of circles/patches because of the hormonal changes, now if you noticed skin irritation, broken skin, or blood in her skin then it is not normal therefore, I think you should take your piggy to the vet to be 100% sure. (3) They do not pull their hair off if they don't have hay, I've had busy days between college and business (2 days max.) and they have never pulled their hair off. Hay is provided for their teeth and digestive system not for the coat. If you need help in anything else PM me or the mods if I am not available
Back to top Go down
pghsteelersgirl7
pghsteelersgirl7

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2008 2:16 pm

I would phone the vet for an apt for mum. It can be signs of many things. Do not separate babies from the mum unless you have boars once they turn 3.5 wks.

I would take her to the vet to be safe.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 4:09 am

IF you can, you might want to give dad 1/3 of the cage, and mom/bubs 2/3, until any baby boars are removed and put in with Dad. He doesn't need as much space as mom and family, for now.

Make sure you get them some hay, even if it's only a good handful a day. I know getting to the store can be a problem, but try to get some sent to you, if nothing else. Hay helps their digestive system work, and without it, they can get plugged up (impacted) and miserable, which leads to illnesses and other problems, if it lasts too long. Even a small bag of hay or alfalfy, so they can get some roughage, is better than nothing.

I bet the bubs are real cuties. I think they are so adorable at that age. Mini--cavies, lol.

I agree with Angel about contacting the vet. If it's nothing serious, you've covered all the bases. If it is something serious, it's best to catch it as early as possible.

Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
Bugbug

Bugbug

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 6:16 am

thankz everyone. She isn't even acting like its their, she is acting completely normal, and there is no scars, or scabs, or bleeding, or anyhing!? its so weird...! i'm think since there are no sighns of anything else, it could be between the fact that she had pups, or just a vitamin defiefiency. (sp?) maybe cuz the pups are taking her fruits and veggies? cuz i do see them stealing from her nearly everything i give er'....idk.
But i've been getting her lotz of veggies n' friuts, -so theres enough to go around- and i got her more hay, and i'm now putting vitamin c in her water.....
But since there is no scratching or sores or anything, i don't think it's mange....?
And the 2 pup-boars will have to move in with dad in 4 days...so.....
but there are no sores or anything...so i'm thinking it's her hormones...
If it is, will the hair grow back?!
and sorry there are no pics, i have no good cameras..... Help! hair loss! 810481
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 6:28 am

Well if it is normal, yes her hair will grow back. When I adopted cenizo he had a patch in his back I freaked out at the shelter when I was checking him out, but I noticed his hair was weird, that was because his previous owners used to cut his hair really ugly by the way. Now his little patch is even with his hair in his tiny back, like I said if the patch is normal and it was because of a healthy cause they it should grow back. Why don't you take her to the vet? that way you can be 100% sure.
Back to top Go down
Bugbug

Bugbug

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 6:36 am

yeah, i have to take my ipod back to get the $. ( not that i would hesitate to, cuz i will totally give my iPod 4 my pigs anyday...)
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 am

So sorry to hear that, but at the same time you're showing how mature and you are and much you love your cavies
Back to top Go down
Bugbug

Bugbug

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 am

well, a life is more valuble than a song. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 10:10 pm

You're very right. I will do so too my piggies are more important for me, although I don't have an ipod lol
Back to top Go down
Bugbug

Bugbug

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 4:40 am

lol, and, since i've been gone 4eva, I just thought i'd say that everythings grown back, and shes healthy and everything now XD Help! hair loss! 386383
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 5:58 am

I am very happy to know that your sow is back to normal now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help! hair loss! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help! hair loss!   Help! hair loss! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help! hair loss!
Page 1 of 1