The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Reputation : My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her. Reputation1
Registration date : 2007-12-28

My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her. Empty
PostSubject: My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her.   My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2008 12:20 pm

First of all, are you absolutely sure she is not eating and what makes you think that ? Is it a new shy pig who always hides away from you so you've never actually seen her eating for example ? If it is, then if you search the bedding you will more than likely find poops which will indicate she is eating when she is on her own etc - she may be eating dry mix and hay that you've not noticed disappearing !

However, if you really are sure your pig isn't eating then it is a serious situation you need to get resolved as quickly as you can. Take her to the Vet asap to determine what is wrong with her - it could be many things and the vet is the best person to examine your pig and the best person to advise you on her treatment and whether to syringe feed her or not - please by guided by your vet. I would never syringe feed my pigs without finding out what the problem is and getting it sorted out ! There is a syringe feeding page on the site but it is to accompany any advice given by your vet - a few tips -it should never replace proper veterinary advice !

Last edited by on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
happiestgirl

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her.   My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 1:46 am

Where is the syringe feeding page? Smile I have quite a bit of experience, so I was hoping to check it out
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her.   My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 3:24 am

Sorry, I haven't update it yet, I will today do so later on. I've been working on my online store and reading, cleaning the house and a lot of things. I will update it as soon as I am free, but it would be today. Thanks for telling me, because I did not notice I had to update the volume/part 2 of the FAQs. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her.   My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 5:28 am

I'll join you there when it's ready, Happiestgirl. I don't have anywhere nearly as much experience as you do, but if any experience I have helps, I'll post it.

I think the most important aspect of possibly not eating is knowing why the pig isn't eating. If it's a new pig, set up a piggy cam. The wire ones are about $25 at Walmart, and it helps you keep an eye on the pigs when you're not in the room. Otherwise, always let a vet check the pig and determine why it's not eating. There are so many reasons, and they're totally unrelated to each other, so it's important to know the reason, so you know exactly what to feed, how much and how often. Force feeding won't help if meds are needed to treat the problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her.   My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My pig is not eating so I'm going to syringe feed her.
Page 1 of 1