The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Adopting a dog

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pghsteelersgirl7
pghsteelersgirl7

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-01-06

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 3:29 pm

Hubby and I got approval to have another dog in our home since we rent. We are meeting Bella who is a 1.5 year old brindle boxer who needs a loving home. The family who owns her has a rottie who has medical problems and needs more attention so she felt that it would be best for Bella to have a home with extra attention before she feels left out. Well Bella's mom really likes us since we only talked over the phone and kept joking with us, text us on our cell and all. she is sad to see her go but thrilled to see her have the best home ever.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Hub and I decided to adopt a puppy from the shelter, but all went wrong no puppies and we've been looking for a golden retriever since we moved together and got married, but we couldn't find one anywhere (pure breed) I went to a store called Puppies (Luv-A-Pup) and there was like 10+ puppies including a golden retriever. Since the momment I came he started playing jumping like i knew you where looking for someone like me. We started to get the bills straight and we came to conclusions and we could afford him, what motivated me was that because he wasn't a little puppy anymore no one bought him, because he's 2 1/2 month old. If he was not sold this week he was going to another place where people were gonna "buy" him. When we left hr looked at me with such a sad face, and when we came home I was sad too, so I told hub that I wanted him and it was a delay, but at the end everyone's happy. Later on I'll share puppictures Smile
Back to top Go down
pghsteelersgirl7
pghsteelersgirl7

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 9:22 am

2.5 months is a puppy. puppies are under the age of 1. But I do know what you mean. Everyone has to have a puppy. What is wrong with adopting a year old, they still have puppies in them too.

She will come home a month from now, she will get spayed first.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 9:53 am

We are fixing him when he grows a little more, our other 2 dogs are spayed so there's no danger or any problem. We introduced them yesterday and they played for a long time but puppy guy annoyed adult doggies and they just ignored him for a while. He's a little brat kept us all night up and loves to bite everything he sees. What do you recommend? Any good articles, books or anything relating to calm a puppy?

I know people can be ignorant and just to have a cute and small puppy to play would be the ideal, yeah I won't say it's cute, but others have those rights too, but you know not all people think the same way. I think he's the most precious puppy I've ever seen.

Hope we can control his behavior faster Sad
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 4:55 am

Puppies need to be contained or they destroy so much it can be a problem. Get him a crate if you don't have one, or create an secure area where he can be enclosed when no one's around, or at night when you need to sleep. Put a soft, washable bed it's okay for him to chew, in the crate or secure area, and a good chew toy such as a rawhide bone.

If he chews something he's not supposed to chew, take it away from him, tell him very firmly "no", and give him the chew toy he's supposed to use.

To house break him, start with the wee pads or newspaper just so you can see how he behaves when he has to go. Once you know his signs, make sure you watch for them and get him outside before he goes in the house. Puppy bladders are a small, and since pups get excited easily, they have more accidents than adults. Once he's housebroken, he'll still have accidents if he gets overly excited or ill.

He has a short attention span and a lot of energy compared to the older dogs. Make sure he has something to keep him busy so he doesn't bother the older dogs too much. Chew toys are the best. Play with him as much as possible to tire him out and keep him from being bored. He'll outgrow puppyhood way too soon, so go with the flow, lol.
Back to top Go down
pghsteelersgirl7
pghsteelersgirl7

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 12:03 pm

I have seen people use grids that are used for gp cages, Use the regular kind not the mesh. Use zipties as a criss cross style.

You need to catch your puppy in act to punish them when they do this as well. Sometimes finding out they peed and it is not hot/warm but cold does not help. I learned that training my dog Isaac. It only took me 2 months.

I had puppy pads, everytime Isaac would piddle I put the puppy pad there, I would move it every time. Also when you are done punishing your dog from peeing, take him outside right away and say good dog once he pees. If he poops, pick up the poop and place it in the grass and stick your dogs nose near it and say outside. Punish your dog first in the house then take the poop out.

It also depends on the breed. Also you want to take the dog to the door and say good boy, so he learns, also always keep some treats in your pockets to where he does not know about that. So when he potty's outside say GOOD BOY and give him a cookie. Do that every time.

As far as chewing, go and pick up some apple bitter spray, spray it on places where he likes to chew, it is supposed to help.

What breed is your puppy.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 11:06 pm

Thank you both for such great advises I will try the treats when potting or peeing. We're working in the bitting process too, we bought him 5+ chewable toys and he's favorite one is a blue and white bone specially made to control his chewing he can chew it for hrs and not get tired of it (that's good!) About bitting the furniture he's listening much better now, we used to say to him "no" 3+ times and he wouldn't listen until we took him away. Noe we just say "no" one time and he backs up. We're having a little trouble with the crate because he loves to sleep underneath out kitchen table instead of his cushy new bed Sad Any ideas??? Thanks for everything girls!

He's a golden retriever pure breed he will be 3 months the first of October.

Sleeping Lucky (yes! he's name is Lucky)
Adopting a dog Img_0010

Tired After Big Day at the Park Smile
Adopting a dog Sleepi11

Looking at mom Smile
Adopting a dog Lucky11
Back to top Go down
pghsteelersgirl7
pghsteelersgirl7

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 11:35 pm

My dog Samantha is a golden retriever/sherman shepard mix.

We are not adopting a dog, we have not found one a match for her. So we are adopting a single boy piggie on sat.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 am

AWW, can I see pictures of that mix? I was wondering a while ago how it will look. I would love to see your dog. Smile
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 6:33 am

Great dogtures of Lucky. What a beautiful dog. Try putting a treat, a dog biscuit, chew toy you save just for crate time. He likes to lie under the table because he knows it's where you have food. He needs a chew incentive to leave under the table and go in his crate. Dogs are great opportunists, and there's little they won't do for food.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Lol, I know he still don't know his name we're working on it, but he knows it very well when we have treat in our hand lol. We picked for him a sofa in our living room to be with us watching tv or hanging out with us in the afternoons to cool down from the park since we take him everyday to excersie and sometimes twice a day (very crazy dogs lol) He likes to play with is favorite toy there and other times he lays next to our feet in the floor. He has changed a lot before we couldn't keep him next to us relaxing for more then 1 minute but now he does it on his own. I think is because we give him lots of excercise and he sees the house now as he relaxer lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Adopting a dog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adopting a dog   Adopting a dog Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adopting a dog
Page 1 of 1