The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Preferred Bedding.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Preferred Bedding. Empty
PostSubject: Preferred Bedding.   Preferred Bedding. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 12:27 pm

There are several bedding types that you can use for your cavy's cage. Timothy hay can be an option for bedding it is very cheap and healthy for cavies. Recycle paper products can be another option for bedding, aspen shavings. When purchasing shavings I will recommend you to buy them directly from a pet store, other than that may contain mites. Some people use bath towels which are the healthiest method in my opinion they do not contain dust, chemicals and other compounds, but they require daily change and a lot laundering. I will recommend the bath towels as I heard that they can help with avoiding any upper respiratory problems, because they do not contain any dust. If you need more details please feel free to ask me or the mods.
Back to top Go down
happiestgirl

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-01-18

Preferred Bedding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred Bedding.   Preferred Bedding. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 1:18 am

I have to disagree with some of the info you have posted. Timothy hay makes terrible bedding. My pigs make an awful mess with just the timothy hay they pull down from the hay rack. They lie in it, as well as pee and poop. The hay becomes a wretched stinky mess and the piggies get stinky too. Hay also gets moldy quite easily and mold is toxic.

If you use towels and fleece they do not need to be changed every day if you have a big enough cage. Every 3 days or so, depending on the number of pigs you have per cage.

Megan
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Preferred Bedding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred Bedding.   Preferred Bedding. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 2:18 am

There are several people that use hay, for the piggies just to play around it as hidey houses and just for them to have fun, you are responsible to change it, for fresh hay. I do agree that depending on the cage dimensions the laundering changes, you can also use hand vacuum to keep it clean, but I recommend to clean it every 2-3 days. It all depends on how clean you want the cage to be.
Back to top Go down
Romaine
Banned

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Preferred Bedding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred Bedding.   Preferred Bedding. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 4:41 am

I tried hay as a bedding.

It is smelly.

Really smelly.

It must hurt the poor piggy noses.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Preferred Bedding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred Bedding.   Preferred Bedding. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 4:46 am

It also can hurt their eyes, as they are pointy. I recommend putting some to provide them some hidey house sometimes, so they can play a little with it. I've never tried hay as a bedding, I've tried carefresh and pine shavings I also noticed on walmart the cheap fleece so I'll give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Romaine
Banned

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-01-19

Preferred Bedding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred Bedding.   Preferred Bedding. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 4:49 am

I bought my fleece at Wal-Mart. I bought it by the yard. Your pigs will love it. So soft and cuddly. Make sure you use a thick layer of newspaper, followed by a layer of two towels, then the fleece. And don't use any fabric softener on the fleece or it will not wick the pee through to the towels.

I wash mine in bleach and laundry detergent on the highest temperature setting. Then do an extra rinse with vinegar.

This works really in keeping the smell out.

Your piggies are going to LOVE you Preferred Bedding. 91609
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Preferred Bedding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred Bedding.   Preferred Bedding. Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 9:55 am

Thank you!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Preferred Bedding. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Preferred Bedding.   Preferred Bedding. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Preferred Bedding.
Page 1 of 1