The Guinea Piggyn World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Guinea Piggyn World

HomeHome  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  SearchSearch  Log inLog in  

Do males get along well?

Go down 
+5
kaylinscavies
3Piggles
PiggyOwner
GuineaPigLuvver
Bandit
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bandit

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-12-29

Do males get along well? Empty
PostSubject: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 9:57 pm

I've heard to keep males together you may have to have them neutered although brothers sometimes get along. Is this true?
Back to top Go down
http://s15.invisionfree.com/Menagerie
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

Number of posts : 1182
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 4:46 am

Neutured?? That's completely WRONG. You do not have to get your piggy neutured in order to house them together. Neuturing them will not change their behavior or male scent. The only thing you have to do in order to keep them together is give them enough space in their cage(s). With enough space you should be okay.
Back to top Go down
Bandit

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 5:52 am

Oh, ok. Thats a relief.
I read that once in a piggy book and it makes sense bc sometimes animals fight bc of their hormones. I've learned not to trust things in books anymore, they always get stuff wrong.

And with rabbits I know that males often don't get along. I tried to have my two brother rabbits indoors as free range rabbits but they fought and tried to mate each other so I have to fix them first.
Back to top Go down
http://s15.invisionfree.com/Menagerie
PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 5:55 am

LOL! well is all about the space like guineapigluvver stated. I have read in books and I have heard in pet stores that you can't keep them together, but that is just a myth.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 30, 2007 6:02 am

Bandit wrote:
Oh, ok. Thats a relief.
I read that once in a piggy book and it makes sense bc sometimes animals fight bc of their hormones. I've learned not to trust things in books anymore, they always get stuff wrong.

And with rabbits I know that males often don't get along. I tried to have my two brother rabbits indoors as free range rabbits but they fought and tried to mate each other so I have to fix them first.
Males will fight and play sometimes by mounting each other. Wink
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 3:46 am

It's also about age. We got two boars the first time. They came from the same tank at the pet store, so they didn't really have any territory issues. When one died, I got a baby as a cagemate for the older pig. That worked fabulously. Dallas, the older pig, let Zippy zip all over the place, and tried to keep up as much as possible. If Zippy got out of line, Dallas put him back in his place. They were so much fun to watch, and so full of life. Then Dallas died, and I got Grishy. He was a wonderful pig, but the same age as Zippy. They fought constantly. Zippy felt he'd been runner up with Dallas, so he was cage king, now. Grishy felt it was up for grabs. They got separated regularly. Zippy was less interested in being with Grishy than Grishy was in being with Zippy, and seemed quite happy to be separated. I should have gotten two more babies, one for each piggy, but we were in the process of selling our house and moving here, so it wasn't the time to be adding to my pig pile.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 3:51 am

AW, well my two adult boars can't even smell each other. I tried the "buddy bath" and it did not work one of them ended up with 4 small bites that has already healed and with no infection, just little scars. At first they got along well, but my little "boxer" started to mess with the new piggy and the new piggy accepted it for a couple of minutes and he took it all in the tub. Poor baby since that fight I haven't try to put them next to each other.
Back to top Go down
3Piggles
3Piggles

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:17 am

Zippy is a lover, not a fighter. I could see that he felt the cage was his after Dallas, and since Grishy was the newbie, he could take second place. Grishy was full of life, loved to sneak up on Zippy and pounce on him, and expected a contest for first pig. Zippy always got the worst of it, except for one time when I was holding Zippy and hub was holding Grishy in the next chair. Grishy peed on hub, and hub handed Grishy to me without any chance of me separating the two pigs. They went after each other, and I put my hand between them. Grishy bit the ring finger on my left hand, and I bled all over everything. Hub was mad at Grishy. I was mad at hub. It wasn't poor Grishy's fault hub stuffed him in my lap nose to nose with Zippy, or that Zippy considered me his human, and greatly resented Grishy being with me. I put a thread on the CC titled Poor Grishy Bit Me. People had to read the title a couple of times to be sure it said what they thought it said, lol.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 am

AWW, poor baby I did the same thing when my two babies were fight, but every time they saw my hand they stopped, that;s why i never noticed the bleeding until I was drying one of them with a white towel and I freaked out.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:27 am

I love the little piggy at the right lol his blinking eye I can't stop looking at him (the one that says online)
Do males get along well? 51771
Back to top Go down
kaylinscavies

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:00 pm

well i had a few males and not one of them got along. good luck
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:07 pm

I know, my babies can't even smell each other, and I will not ever put one of them next to each other
Back to top Go down
kaylinscavies

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:12 pm

i was caught in the cross fire with 2 males. i picked bailey up and went to put him in his cage and i removed the towel and he bit me Crying or Very sad and broke the skin. but not all males are like this
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Well, when the first fight started and I put my hand in between them they stopped, none of them bit me, I was afraid, but also worried about them hurting each other. So I risked my small hand lol
Back to top Go down
kaylinscavies

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:18 pm

GuineaPigLuvver wrote:
Well, when the first fight started and I put my hand in between them they stopped, none of them bit me, I was afraid, but also worried about them hurting each other. So I risked my small hand lol

well i'd say you are very brave Laughing my riley was a ladies man lovers he didn't like the boys Laughing
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:19 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
pghsteelersgirl7
pghsteelersgirl7

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:23 pm

You don't have to get them neutered. Neutering does prevent impactions, and hormonals that is all.

also if you have sows in the house, you can have problems with males. it depends on their personalities really.

I had 2 long haired brothers they were together since birth. I had girls living in the same room. They bickered a bit, but got along.

More space in the cage the lest problems you have. Like if you have 2x4 for 2. I would do 2x5 for 2 boys, and so on. 2 water bottles, extra bowl and hidies for them, they will be happy.
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 2:26 pm

Yeah, its all about space and independent objects for them. That will avoid the fighting when one of them wants to drink water or eat food. I have them in different cages.
Back to top Go down
englishteacher
Banned

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 8:36 am

Hmmm. I have a cage with four boars, and they get along fine. Neutering is not recommended unless it is an absolutely necessary. It does not, in any way, shape or form, change the behavior, and it can be very dangerous to the boar.
Back to top Go down
animal lover
Banned
animal lover

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:30 am

My 2 boys are about 5yr old now they have always been together and they always get on ok
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:32 am

Yup, that's a pet store myth. Males do get along, all they need like anyone is space for themselves. That's all, yes they can be a little dominant, but that is normal. The best thing to provide them is enough space seperate food bowls, water bottles. Aw you've enjoy them for a long time Smile
Back to top Go down
Petlee

Petlee

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 pm

I must agree neutering them makes no difference. I have boars to gether for up to 4 yrs. Important things to remember to keep your boars happily housed together are...

1. If handling sows , wash your hands and maybe change your clothes before handling them.

2. Never put either of the boars with a sow and then try to think they will get along again, it will not work.

3. Never give them a chance to smell a sow.

4. Never house them next to sows.

5. Don't let either of them smell a new born bub.

6. Make sure there is 2 feed bowls, sometimes you need 2 water bottles also.

7. If they have to moved, put them in a freshly cleaned cage where there are no others smells, pine shavings is best.

8. If one needs a bath for any reason, bath the other aswell.

Hope these help..

Cheers Lee
Back to top Go down
GuineaPigLuvver
Administrator
Administrator
GuineaPigLuvver

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:55 am

I agree with you and thanks for pointing that out. Neuturing will not affect in any. My first piggy male who passed away past october 12 used to play with his baby boy all the time he was dominant, but his boy will never respond to it and they will chase and run all around the kitchen floor. Now, my other boar can't stand him at all. I tried bathing them together, sow was not close to them and I used to change clothes after holding them and nothing work. But that doesn't mean that boars can't be together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do males get along well?   Do males get along well? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do males get along well?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Guinea Piggyn World :: 
General Discussions
 :: Any Other Topic
-
Jump to: